Sunday, October 09, 2011

Pippa the Pharma

Here is some more info from Pippa the Pharmacologist about my cox-2 inhibitor, Cimicoxib (generic). Or Cimalgex (brand).

Misery is always very keen to read the information leaflets about any drugs, well they are usually mine, as she doesn't take any.

In fact she thinks it is so important, she wrote about it on her Clouds bloggy, which is not as good as mine because there are no pictures of me. But if you are interested in pharmaceutical and pharmacological issues, check out her paracetamol post.

Back to me. As we didn't get an information sheet for my tablets, she looked up the info on the tinties for me.

They come in three varieties. Cimalgex 8mg, 30mg amd 80mg. Each tablet has the same quantity of active ingredient cimicoxib, ie 8mg of cimicoxib in the 8mg tablet, 30mg in the 30mg tablet and 80mg in the 80mg tablet. The tablets are chewable ones and tasty. I can vouch for that.

Here are the other ingredients:

• Lactose monohydrate
• Povidone K25
• Crospovidone
• Sodium laurylsulfate
• Macrogol 400
• Sodium stearyl fumarate
• Pork liver powder

Misery wasn't very pleased to see the last one on that list. And she thought sodium lauryl sulphate was something you got in shampoo.

Big dogs like me need to take one tablet a day of the 80mg version, ie that's 20.1 - 40kg dog weight. You can take them with, or without food. I started eating them with my food, but when Misery was helping me research, she read something about taking the recommended dose without food.

So then I ate it before my breakfast with some tasty fake beefy slices. After a couple of days though, I began to feel a bit lethargic and couldn't be bothered to jump up and down for my breakfast. And when we went out for my walks, I didn't want to do anything. I even had a few tiny retches although nothing came up.

Misery looked at the internet again and checked out the adverse reactions. Here is what she found:

• Mild and transient gastro-intestinal disorders (vomiting and/or diarrhoea) were very commonly reported.

• On rare occasions, serious gastrointestinal disorders such as haemorrhage and ulcer formation have been noted. Other adverse reactions including anorexia or lethargy may also be observed on rare occasions.

• In very rare cases, increases in renal biochemistry parameters were noted. As for any long term NSAID treatment, renal function should be monitored.

Well I certainly didn't have diarrhoea, quite the opposite, but I had been trying to vomit. And I was not my usual perky self. I'm not even sure if I could have been bothered to chase a cat.

I'd had about ten tablets at this point out of my two week supply and my paw was much better. So Master and Misery decided to stop the tablets immediately, as advised, and I was soon back to my normal cheerful self. I even found a cat that I thought Master might want to look at more closely so I tried to pull him over. He didn't. Want to look at it I mean.

So, as Mango particularly asked about side effects, I thought it was worth making a separate post for you all in case you get arthritis or a trophy. Perhaps I will win a trophy for my pharmacological research?

In summary about my tablets:

1 They are tasty

2 They made my paw get better very quickly, and so far it has not hurt again

3 They are better taken with food, in my experience

They are not expensive at 19.20€ for 16 tablets and because I stopped taking them before I had used them all, it means there are some in my medicine cabinet in case my paw starts to hurt again.

Thank you all for your very kind comments about my pawly paw and I hope I don't need to put on my pharmacological hat again in the near future. Although I am happy to do any research for any pups who need it.

And here are some piccies. After all this is a dogblog. Finally, I end with a special pic for my friend Claudette where I am doing paws crossed and evil eyes to ward off bad things. Thinking of you, Claudette, big Pippahugs to you.

Pippa the Pharmacologist resting after research


Busy morning with a yoghurt pot


The obligatory boring old tablet shot


Breakfast time. So happy. Bread from Misery and toast from Master.


One of my favourite positions. Front paws on the floor, back ones on the sofa, ready to turn whichever way


Oh! Yes! Toast!


Eyes wide shut? while crunching toasties -
I hope Nicole Kidman appreciates my eyes wide shut


Licking my lips but I look drunk on here. Drunk on toast!!


Paws crossed for my lovely friend Claudette, and sending evil green eyes to help get rid of her pawlinesses

10 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We are so happy to hear that your paw is better, Pippa. And our Mom says the same thing about our vets - they never give any details about the meds. But she is like your Misery and checks things out on the Internets.

We too have our paws crossed for Claudette - we sure wish we could chase away that evil C for her.

Beautiful pics too, Pippa.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

They are tasty because they are laced with pork liver! Glad your paw is better. How would you chase cats otherwise?
Can't catch me though.....
JB

Dexter said...

Thank you for the information. My momma reads everything about my medicines as well. So you are feeling better?

I am taking a larger daily dose of the metacam and I feel much better too. I even played zoomies with PeeWee this morning.

I am thinking of Miss Claudette as well. So scary that she has the bad sickies.

Slobbers,
Mango

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

We are so very glad your paw is feeling better and that you were able to stop the drugs ahead of time. That kind of adverse reaction is not fun at all!

Woofs,
Tommy

Heather said...

Love your blog! I have a friend in Gibraltar and would love to go someday. :)

- Heather (and Sydney and Shelby) from USA

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

*SIGH!*

The last pikh -

Oh my my!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Moondance Huskies said...

My darling Pippa,
You are SOOOO smart! You certainly did your research on the medication. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I am glad your paw is feeling better...sore feety feets are not good. I LOVE the pictures of you...you are SO handsome!! I was drooling while looking at them. I even made them really big so I could gaze into your beawootiful eyes.
My paws are crossed for our dear friend Claudette too. I keep sending husky vibes to her to help keep her strong. She is such a nice lady.
Wish I was snuggled up on the couch with you, sweetheart!

Love,
your Skye

Helios said...

I hope your paw is well now so that you don't have to take those confusing pills. I hate taking pills, even heartworm pills disguised as beef flavor treats.

Asta said...

Pippa
Thank dog ouw peeps can get all that infowmation on the intewnets nowadays.
I liked youw yoguwt hold, but as you, my all time favowite is the mowning toast..i don't even move my head until the toast flies into my mouf ..mowning walkies can only come aftew

I hope youw bootiful gween eyes fwighten away that howwid illness fwom auntie Claudette's poowly body
I love you
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Huskee and Hershey said...

Yay!!Glad that your pawly poor is better... Thanks for sharing the information with us! Those side effects sounds ughhh!!
Our mom 'tries' to read the fine prints of all the medication she/we take but loses interest very quickly (she's a slacker!!).